My Dear Dr. Manmohan Singh,
How are you sir? Do you recall the letter I wrote to you on July 27, 2008? Your first term as Prime Minister was almost drawing to a close. You’re now in the second year of your second term, adorning the same august office. In my first letter, I had posed several questions to you for which I haven’t had a response so far. But that’s okay because I know you’re a very busy person. I hadn’t intended to write a second one if not for what happened in Varanasi today. And we see that nothing has really changed in this grand nation between July 2008 and now. Actually, let me correct myself and simply say that the anniversary has come 11 days late this year. It’ll be clear in just a moment what I mean by anniversary because like in my previous letter to you, I shall ask some more questions:
- Does 26/11 remind you of something? No? How about 26/11/2008? Yes? There! See? I knew you’d remember it in a flash. It is that anniversary that came late this year. Not in Mumbai but in Varanasi. The city that Hindus regard as their holiest.
- I realize I had used some strong language in my earlier letter so I’ll temper it now. However, my question remains the same: just what have you and your esteemed group comprising the All-Sacrificing Mother, her Charming Son, and the entire group of able administrators, refined gentlemen, and accomplished leaders that go by the collective noun of Cabinet been doing for
foursix precious years? Especially given the fact that the purer-than-white Home Minister thundered not very long ago that “the Mumbai attacks should be the “last game…” We have been gaining strength day by day to counter terrorism from across the border. I have been warning Pakistan not to play games with us. (I have told them that) the last game should be the Mumbai attacks. Stop it there.” Actually the country knows what your cabinet guys have been up to. Among others, indulging in the CWG and the Raja of All Development Schemes. I don’t fault you, Sir, for the Varanasi blast took you unawares. The 2-year old kid that died in the blasts probably didn’t know how busy you were in sorting out these messy affairs.
- But then, I’m forced to ask why every single attack is motivated by a group that claims that its members are among the Most Faithful Adherents of…what’s the name of that religion again? Actually you must be proud of the exemplary citizen that I am. I’m more secular than most of your party members. I refuse to even name the religion. Terrorists have no religion. Right, Sir?
- At least that’s what our journalists, news anchors, artists, writers, film makers, intellectuals, and professors tell me. Terrorists are cowards. Terrorists have no religion. And these intellectuals etc are all very accomplished people. People of eminence who know much more than I can hope to ever know. So why does this question pop up in an aam aadmi’s–like me–mind when I read the email written by the terrorists themselves? Please see the kind of dirty and dangerous things they’ve written in the email in the name of a God called Allah and a Prophet called Mohammed.
O you lowliest, stupid worshippers of Shiva and Parvati’s ‘sexual organs’! Be assured that Indian Mujahideen, the sons of Mahmud Ghazni, Muhammad Ghori, Qutb-ud-dinAibak, Firuz Shah Tughlaq and Aurangzeb (may Allah bestow His mercy upon them) have resolved that none of your Mandirs will remain safe until and unless all our occupied Masjids throughoutIndia are returned back to the Muslims…These Pharaohs of India have themselves provided us the opportunity to once again strike at their throats…O you nasty, rotten Hindus!We are fully aware of your preparations at the Babri Masjid site for the construction of a ‘grand temple’ over the corpses of our martyrs all over the country. The Indian Mujahideen warn these filthy Hindu zealots that even if a Grand Temple of Gold isbuilt over the Babri Masjid we will destroy it at all costs…we will strike terror inthe hearts and minds of these idol worshippers…It’s really useless to expect anything good from these ugly creatures. Indeed to cure some, force is the only option. O dirty Hindu idolaters! If youcontinue with these ‘injustices’ then we promise that we will continue our war against you. In the name of Allah( ) we are preparing for you since years and we will continue on this path. Hope you will appreciate and relish this deadly slap in your face…
- Isn’t it logical, Sir, that these terrorists have carried out their dastardly deed in the name of the God of their religion? Whom should we believe Sir? Your secular government, those news anchors, journalists, intellectuals, or the terrorists who’ve themselves clearly stated their motivation and goals?
- I also don’t understand why a certain news channel asks a news anchor on air, not to mention the terrorists’ email that I referred to above, Sir. Are they scared of someone or something? Shouldn’t they be fearless, free, and fair, Sir? Indeed, we were given to believe that their job is to inform us that the actions of the terrorists are potentially harmful to the sovereignty of India. What motivates them to hide crucial details like this email? Will you speak to them and find out, Sir? I’m sorry, I realize that you’re a very busy man. At least get someone in your team to speak to them. It’s not very difficult. At least one journalist in that channel is on first-name basis with some of your party members like Azad and Ahmed.
- This attack shows that this nation’s Home Minister’s courageous thundering garnered only applause. Which is really with me. At least tell us openly that you’re unable to protect us. That our enemies are stronger than us. That the only honourable option left for us is to brace ourselves for the next blast. I mean, we’re really fine with it. We won’t complain. We know Mahatma Gandhi’s message by heart and we really revere him. Like he said, we will gladly give up our lives so that the force of our love will compel the terrorists to realize their mistake and then they will voluntarily give up their arms.
I pay my taxes, I abide by the law and I haven’t broken a single traffic rule. I believe I’m entitled to answers from you.
Postscript: Please do answer soon, Sir. The next time something like this occurs, I may not be alive to write you another letter.
An Honest Citizen
Tags: Chidambaram, Commentary, Congress Party, Dec 7 2010 Terror Attack Varnasi, India, Indian Mujahideen, Indian National Congress, Indian Politics, Islam Watch, Islamic Terror, Manmohan Singh, Media Watch, NDTV Watch, Politics, Pseudosecularism, Pseudosecularism Hall of Shame, Secularism, Sonia Gandhi, UPA, UPA 2.0, Varanasi Terror Attack Dec 2010