Self-Inflicted Ignominy

What a way to fall when you’re 86 years old! And yet, as most who had observed the run up to the fall knew, it was only imminent. What primarily led to LK Advani’s graceless exit was a combination of incurable self-delusion and an obstinate refusal to acknowledge his irrelevance especially after the washout in 2009. It appeared as if he had become akin to a compulsive gambler who HAS to win at any cost–no matter how many people he hurt in the quest. Except that in his case, the Prime Minister’s gaddi was the jackpot.

It’s not entirely inaccurate to say that the BJP went through its worst ever phase under the post-2009 LK Advani: private spats fought publicly, avoidable intraparty subterfuges, dumping regional leaders, creating unnecessary controversies to score a silly point. Of course this sort of thing happens in all parties. However, what was different in the BJP’s case was that such ugliness over time, came to define the party. There’s a reason the term Dilli-4 acquired such notoriety even within staunch BJP loyalists. Equally, a measure of how rudderless and weak it had become is available in the form of the nonchalant arrogance that the JD(U) treated it with in 2011 and 2012. And this is an ally with some 20 seats. If the Congress was viewed as the Satan of Corruption and malgovernance, the BJP was viewed as a National Joke.

And LK Advani cannot hope to evade his share of responsibility for reducing the party to this sordid mess. To repeat a common analysis, Advani should’ve shown grace befitting his once-lofty stature and ceded space to younger and more deserving leaders in the party. However, as we’ve seen, he chose instead to alienate almost everybody who held him in great esteem. The consequence was visible in the recent meet at Goa. However, that has seemed to only harden his irrational obstinacy. There’s perhaps no other explanation for his resignation from all party positions he occupied.

Or perhaps there is. A one word explanation: blackmail. No. Make that two words: Gandhian blackmail. The parallels are striking. Mohandas Gandhi retained his vise-like grip over the Congress leadership through blackmail: listen to me or I’ll fast until death! However, as history shows, Gandhi became irrelevant to the Congress party by 1944-45. But for Godse, Gandhi’s fate would’ve resembled that of Advani’s today: a career that attained soaring heights only to witness a pitiable twilight in his own lifetime, a fall that’s entirely self-scripted. Self-scripted because post 2009, he began to live in an illusory soap-bubble, which continually bloated up, fed by the air of what he thought was his indispensability to the BJP. Instead of introspecting on the real reasons for the party’s worst ever drubbing in 2009, Advani chose skulduggery–the example of Yeddyurappa, not to mention Narendra Modi, comes to mind instantly.

The bubble has finally burst. As Jaggi excellently sums it up, the BJP will move on within the blink of an eyelid. It baffles the mind that Advani hasn’t realised the simple fact that resting on past laurels has never paid. More so in politics where your sell-by-date, even before you realize it, can be today. Contemporaneity is what determines the relevance of any leader, and the bigger the leader you are, the swifter and harder your fall is. And it is undeniable that Narendra Modi has singlehandedly scripted a fresh narrative and has forced even the formidable Congress party to dance to his tunes, turning their own game against them. But in the 10 years that Modi took, working assiduously to shape this narrative, LK Advani was busy doing nothing useful to revive the BJP from the abyss it had fallen into. Indeed, he seemed to do the opposite: pushing it further down. Given all this, we wonder on what basis he still harbours the ambition of becoming the BJP’s PM candidate.

Whatever his failings, Atal Bihari Vajpayee had a talent for identifying and nurturing capable and promising people–Pramod Mahajan, Arun Shourie, Khanduri, et al would’ve languished unnoticed but for Vajpayee. And we’ve seen what LK Advani has done in these 9 years to such capable and promising leaders.

It baffles the mind, and it’s saddening that Advani doesn’t realise how vile the spectacle reflects on him and the BJP of how the Congress has immediately lapped up the chance to bake political beans in the wake of his resignation. Or the fact of how the media is firing from his shoulder at Narendra Modi, one of the BJP’s own, calling his resignation a “crisis in the BJP.”

Postscript: I’m sorry it had to come to this Advani ji.

59 comments for “Self-Inflicted Ignominy

1. nash
    July 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

A Template Lived And Celebrated

My take is Rama and Krishna are the ultimate in human aspiration.The others who have come also are pointing to them.So if the guide of present day is charming you,it is temporary.As said previously they are also pointing to the Celebration,so why not go straight there if the sense allows.

2. July 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM

@Malavika,

You assumed wrong. I am neither presumptuous, nor arrogant. Ok to advise. I read them long before. It’s not about Aurobindo’s criticism of Gandhi. It’s about Gandhi whom most (not all) modern Hindu right wing ideologues hate. Hindu civilization is incomplete without a Gandhi. Good luck to you.

3. nash
    July 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

@ Paid posters of Advani,

So will there be a resurgent BJP?Which many are hoping to see.what is it in your opinion ?

4. July 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

@Vasu,
    “It is nice of you to drop three great names I expect most are familiar with”

You are presumptuous and arrogant. And I am not dropping names.

I read and meditate on these sant mahatma’s sayings. I attend discourses on Vedanta by Chinmaya Mission. Why, I even touched feet of Late Sri Chinmayananda and Ammachi! I strongly believe Ramana Maharshi inspired Sri Chinmayananda, Tapovanmaharaj, Anandamayi ma etc. These people met Maharshi at Arunachalam.

So, I know MK Gandhi is politician and a great freedom fighter. But a spiritual novice. Read Sri Aurobindo’s critique of MKG non-violence.

b.t.w, whatever happened to taking good advice?

5. S
    July 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM

In my opinion, the Brits should have kicked Mohandas out from the moving train instead of dumping him at the railway station. That answer your question dude, or do I have to make myself clear ?

6. Harish
    July 4, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Offtopic: Would Kuvempu have been awarded the Jnanpeeth if URA was heading the Sahitya Academy at that time? (Simple question, I thought, every Kannadiga must ponder over)

7. July 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

@Malavika,

It is nice of you to drop three great names I expect most are familiar with. I respect them all and read some of their works (by them, on them).
    However, why Gandhi and non-violence don’t fit into modern Hindu right wing ideologues?

8. July 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM

@Vasu,
    “When somebody (even those whom I don’t know) advises me for my good or general good or greater good, I give it a thought and respond”

Please do introspect and meditate on the sayings of Ramana Maharshi, Sri Aurobindo and Sri RK Paramahansa. These are spiritually realized giants.

Sincerely,
    Malavika

9. S
    July 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Exactly – Advani’s resignation is the end of the crisis of leadership.

10. nash
    July 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

@ Paid posters of Advani, even during the recent assembly elections of karnataka,Advani Sir’s meeting were sparsely attended.indicating people are looking out for a change.It would be good if bjp goes with a uniform outlook.
    See the present article – it says

“Respected Advani ji, your resignation not a crisis for the BJP. It is the end of a crisis. The crisis of leadership. ”
    So the crisis of leadership should be addressed by political management.what this means is Respected Advani and his supporters are also behind new leadership.

11. S
    July 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM

@ Paid posters of Advani – He lost 2004 and in 2009, and as opposition did not work well either. If the mood of the BJP and RSS supporters does not get you somehow still, I can only say – **** off, and I hope Rajnath says this as well, old age be damned.

12. nash
    July 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Old age brings a certain respectability and experience with regard to Advani Sir.
    It is easy to loose the greater picture when we have made up our mind to accommodate
    our new desires.How do you balance out and let the better take over and that is the issue.
    A thousand frames to mock will only show the inability to handle and our short sightedness.
    This is a political management .Here it is the power at stake and that has to be addressed.

13. S
    July 3, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Old man Advani is still up to his dirty tricks, the post of the PM seems to be an obsession with him. The Unreal Times has a superb article on this -

14. July 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

@Malavika,

When somebody (even those whom I don’t know) advises me for my good or general good or greater good, I give it a thought and respond. I don’t descend into ad hominem attacks. But you have a different style. I always wish you good luck.

15. July 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

@Vasu
    “I am not blind, you are not enough far-sighted. You need to explore your self and soul to internalize Gandhi”

You are blind and a good example of ‘None more blind than those who refuse to see’. And don’t arrogate yourself to preach others saying, “you need to..”. I don’t tell you what you should or should’nt do.

You, still did not give any example of ‘far-sighted[ness]‘. And I don’t expect you to either.

@others, this is a public forum and I want the other posters to see that 60+ yrs is a good enough time to access once legacy. Not enough time or what ever is a good excuse to bury uncomfortable facts and avoid scrutiny.

We must think great leaders make great mistakes and learn from their mistakes also, rather than having a mythical narrative.

16. nash
    July 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM

The good observations do not get noticed.

Recently Advani Sir had remarked how the Supreme judiciary let them down during Emergency times.Those who were impacted by those decisions will know the full import of that statement.
    If somebody follows Advani Sir’s writing or speeches will know that it comes from keen observation.In simple terms he is saying the institution has been compromised.
    Those who bash him please take those gems,for he is telling you all where the ills of our set up is.
    You know many of the write ups of present day are further elaboration of his points.

17. June 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

@Malavika,

You and I are repeating ourselves for quite some time now, especially about Gandhi and non-violence. I am not blind, you are not enough far-sighted. You need to explore your self and soul to internalize Gandhi. I wish you good luck.

18. June 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM

@Vasu,
    “Gandhi is a unique world phenomenon. Gandhism will ultimately triumph! I admit that day lies ahead, not today itself.”

Bland assertions without evidence can be dismissed without any evidence.

You speak like a blind dogmatic fan, when you say “Gandhism shall triumph in future”, because it did not happen and is not happening so you push ‘triumph’ to future where none of us will be alive to see.And I’m in my 30′s.

Frankly the future is now, we have 60 + years to see the legacy and you are still blind.

19. June 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM

@SS,

What qualifies in your view as selfless struggle? If you criticize (negatively) Gandhi himself, whom do you adore? As I am on the net before it began, I know that criticizing Gandhi the Mahatma has become a fashion for some right wing ideologues.

20. SS
    June 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

@ Vasu

In public life sometimes ‘being seen above personal gains’ is itself a great personal gain which faux greatmen always harbour. Gandhi was among them. That is why he indeed blackmailed such Congress leaderships who were reluctent to follow his orders at times.

21. Jooske
    June 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM

As for LK Advani he lost all respect after his visit to Pakistan and to Jinnah and the atrocious speech praising Jinnah.What went into his head?

Respect is hard to come by for politicians.

22. Pralay Kumar Bal
    June 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Advaniji should know the difference between 1992 and 2014! In 1992 Advaniji was a cult figure on his own right. Now, same logic can be applied to NAMO!! With “Jinha was secular” tag in his basket, Advaniji lost all credibility, not only in the BJP, but also in Indian psyche. Debate on his resignation is over. Sentiment is the orphan of politics.

23. June 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Mr. Advani’s age does not matter because he is physically fit; perhaps more fit than some of the fat and obese leaders from all political parties.

I think it is true that Mr. Advani has had his chance at PM’s post last time and this time around BJP should throw up a new face. But BJP should have done the succession planning some years ago rather than at last moment now.

Also, I think it is in BJP’s favour if no candidate is declared PM’s hopeful so that the party can remain united and BJP should decide on PM’s post after winning election. But as it appears from the media report, it is Modi Camp which is forcing the party to declare one name which has causedd all these heart burns.

So I think it is not Advani who is to be blamed for this mess, but it is Modi Camp which is to be blamed.

24. June 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM

@Kedar,

I complete agree with you on the Valmiki Ramyana which indeed is the basis for my blog. No lover of Indian epics totally disregards the Bhakti aspect in it. I grew up listening to it, watching plays and (Telugu) mythological movies and some parodies/skits enacted on streets in the region I grew up.

Dharma is an evolving concept. Why do you think our worthy sages said : “ahimsaa paramo dharma | dharma himsaa tathaiva ca”?

If all they wanted to tell us is that just retribution is dharmic, there was no need for the first half. It took Gandhi to make the first half a complete commandment!

Disrespecting Gandhi is akin to disrespecting dharma. Thanks for your understanding.

25. June 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

@Vasu

Valmiki Ramayana is the only historical Ramayana. Rest all are individual interpretations which, without exception, start by paying homage to Valmiki, acknowledging his samakaaleenatva with Rama. Interesting to see you need to talk help of non-Valmiki Ramayanas to buttress your point. Such gymnastics give an impression that may be you do not have a strong point.

Anyway, I do not wish to try to force issue any more. You are the best judge of whats going on within you.

26. June 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

@Kedar,

Yes. the both epics are about dharma and dhrma sookshma (subtel dharma) as many commentators already noted. dharma considers time, context, place and other factors. What Gandhi stood for is dharma, too. He alone stood for it. I believe this answers. As regards the specific questions about the Ramayana, there are some Bhakti tradition interpretations which establish that Ravana invited his death in the hands of Rama, his choice of self liberation. Even if you argue that there was a war and death of innocents, today’s need is just world order and end to violence.

I am not into politics much. My problem is with bigoted projection and commentary on leaders like Gandhi.

27. June 14, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It had to happen.
    As one BJP insider says…Advani got two chances,one in 04 and one in 09.
    In politics,it is winability which Advani has lost.
    Rest is history

28. ItAcHi
    June 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

lol, has anyone seen Rajdeep Sardesai literally crapping in firstpost ? The situation is something like this: before any major event, all the media crooks, leftist assholes, and social activist jholawaalahs get together and analyse how Modi would be unable to pass this milestone or that. The next day, Modi does exactly that leaving these guys scrambling for a face-saving answer. Now, they are actually getting scared-nah,terrified: with the ascent of modi : hence Rajdeep’s hilarious article on FP. And commie stars like Shivam vij from Kafila has gone over to tribune,pak to vent his frustration:lol. check it out http://tribune.com.pk/story/562801/why-i-want-narendra-modi-to-be-prime-minister/

29. June 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM

@Vasu:

I am curious to know “Non-violence (ahimsa) is above all else.” helps society. Isnt Ramayana (or Mahabharata) completely about Dharma (rather than some intermediate principle like ahmisa) is above all else ? Specifically, How would you explain Rama slaying Vali, or even Rama going to war and killing so many innocent soldiers of Ravana and Sugriva for just a woman, looking from Gandhian perspective?

30. June 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Dear Deb & ‘S”,

I don’t understand how you can blame partition and the riots that followed it on Gandhi who even offered PMship to Jinnah to prevent partition. It’s a long and complex story. The rise of Muslim League during the Quit India years was something no Congress leader foresaw and by the time they did, it was too late! Some argue that even as late as 1945, there still was a way out but the two groups didn’t work together. Let’s leave this whom-shall-i-blame-the-partition-on question to the next gen.

Gandhi knew what it fees like to be lathi charged, what it feels like to be thrown out of a railway coach and much more. This criticism is really weak.

Gandhi didn’t ask anybody for anything for his own benefit or material gain. Even his controversial Brahmacharya experiments were for spiritual purpose. I don’t encourage anybody to learn this from Gandhi. It’s easy to deconstruct Gandhi but difficult to look back and see him as people of the world saw him during and after his life. Somebody already said:”What Gandhi consisted of is different from what he is” – Gestalt theory, if you will.

31. nash
    June 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I think most of you would have read his autobiography sort of “my experiences with truth”.There he writes about his self and how he passed his time on this earth.It comes across like the very tittle(“my experiences with truth”) he was not sure of most of the things and had to clarify and confirm his theories from more knowledgeable ones.It looks he was learning and still a student .It is surprising he got this title mahatma when he was still a vidyarthi of life.

32. June 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

First of all I am sorry to have posted a matter which is not related to your blog. I am sorry I have not read your posts too. but please see this.

We have got a story of agony to share. An experience of mental torture, despotism and autocratic behavior. Please help us. This is not a troll post or one which seeks ‘hits’. Please dont see this as bogus post. All documents are in SCRIBD. Thank You. Please spread.

33. S
    June 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Dear Vasu, sure Mohandas placed principle over everything else, it was not his arse on the line ever, was it ? It were his supporters who took the lathi charges, and at the time of Partition, millions being murdered heinously by Muhammadan mobs in West Punjab (Pakistan) and East Bengal (Bangladesh).

34. June 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

@Kedar,

Gandhi is a singularity, IMHO. You need to understand he placed principle above everything else. Non-violence (ahimsa) is above all else. It sometimes goes against instinctive self defense. Read him more closely and you can see he recognized others’ right to disagree with him. As a towering leader of the greatest stature, he remains relevant for all ages. BTW, Indian epics didn’t teach me to be critical of Gandhi.

@Krishnan,

Not only Sandeep, many Hindu right wing ideologues are anti-Gandhi and they can’t write about India without taking pot-shots at him (Gandhi). Almost all of them wish Patel should have been our first PM, without an an iota of knowledge of the then reality. Too wishful, too irrational and too bigoted!

35. Deb
    June 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Dear Vasu,
    The not-so-mahaan deeds of ‘Mahatma’ are so many! He never liked Bose as he was a strong popular leader and India needed Bose in India! But for Mahatma India would not have been under dynastic rule! Why did he favour Nehru over Sardar Patel?
    Fasting was his war cry yet he poopoohed others doing the same! Example Shahid Jatin Das who died fasting and unlike Gandhi did not break his fast!
    Remember Ms. Naidu and her words about
    how keeping him in poverty cost more? Proves the fakeness of projecting a poor image to a poor India!

36. June 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM

@vasu: Not related to this topic, but I am surprised that someone who writes about valmiki ramayana cannot see that the man Mohandas Gandhi was not a mahatma. One example that deeply disturbed me was his advice to Jews about Hitler:

“If I were a Jew and were born in Germany and earned my livelihood there, I would claim Germany as my home even as the tallest gentile German may, and challenge him to shoot me or cast me in the dungeon; I would refuse to be expelled or to submit to discriminating treatment. And for doing this, I should not wait for the fellow Jews to join me in civil resistance but would have confidence that in the end the rest are bound to follow my example.”

His advice to Jews to openly court death when that’s exactly what Hitler was meaning to do is, well… just not human. I do not know what planet Mohandas Gandhi came from.

37. Krishnan
    June 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM

@Vasu. Where is the venom here that Sandeep is spewing? Afterall that was the fact. We cannot ignore the facts. I didnt knew about this PAttabhiraman episode. But now it seems more clearly that after all he turned out to be a kind of blackmailer.
    After all Gandhi too was a human being, not a GOD.

38. SP
    June 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Advani should be shown his place, retired and back in pavillion. Gone into oblivion. No tears, no sadness. He has gone past his Use By date. He is no different than Yeddi, a self serving man.

As for Gandhi. I would say he was the biggest manipulator of Indian masses. Call it charisma or blackmail, makes no difference. He had soft, very soft heart for white skin, and brownies like Patel, Prasad just got ignored, that is what history tells us.

39. June 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM

@Rama,

Even that isolated episode shows his moral power over all Congress leaders, doesn’t it? My whole point is that Sandeep is very quick and loses no opportunity to spew venom on Gandhi the Mahatma.

40. gs
    June 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM

It is very unfortunate that it had to come to this level. Advani himself is to blame. Congress is right that Advani still harbors the ambition to be elevated to the post of PM, hence addressed as PM in Waiting (Perpetual). I wish his family intervenes to help him take retirement. He has served the nation well.

41. SeethaRamaraj
    June 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I was so elated when NaMo was announced as the chief of election campaign and cannot simply express in words. I am even more surprised when he proactively started preparing the nation-wide yatra with his team in just few hours after his elevation. Congress on the other hand was crying, shouting, agitating and what not… NaMo has sent shivers in Congress and many regional parties’ camps. Even, Naveen Patnaik hurriedly announced that he would support NaMo for PM.

In just a day, everything was undone by unpardonable drama enacted by octogenarian vulture named LKA. To the worst, he cited about the degradation of ideology in the party and that forced his resignation… I cannot understand what ideology degradation he is talking about? Does his ideology is fine with following:

(i) Allowing his adapted daughter Sushma Swaraj to dance to the tunes of Reddy brothers.
    (ii) Failing to counter-attack UPA’s blunders
    (iii) Promoting goons like Nitish Kumar and Sharad Yadav, but not saying a word when they hurl harsh swear words to his party colleague NaMo at their free will.
    (iii) Trying to bring back corrupt Nitin Gadkari as a chief of Election campaign, while, just few months back, he revolted against Nitin Gadkari for the continuation of his BJP presidency.
    (iv) Compare his own CMs and belittling his own facilitator NaMo? (You are winning elections from Gandhi Nagar so easily, despite doing nothing. NaMo helped you to start your Rath Yatra against corruption)

I can write more and more, but I don’t think LKA deserves anymore to be dangling in my mind.

Tailpiece: LKA not only demoralized the BJP, but hope (i.e., NaMo) of millions of common men and women.

42. Rama
    June 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Sorry, the candidate of Gandhi was ” Pattabhi Sitaramayya”

43. Jooske
    June 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM

“However, as history shows, Gandhi became irrelevant to the Congress party by 1944-45. But for Godse, Gandhi’s fate would’ve resembled that of Advani’s today”

Godse did him a disservice. I am not in favour of assassinations. Killing him made him a martyr for the wrong reasons.

He would have become in time,a laughing stock.

44. Rama
    June 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM

@Vasu
    Gandhi was unhappy when HIS candidate Pattabhiraman got thrashed badly in the INC presidential election by Netaji Bose. Gandhi went sulking ( as usual) after the defeat of his pet candidate and then made every senior member of the party resign from their respective post,thus making it impossible for Bose to run the party.Bose finally went back to Gandhi and offered his resignation which Gandhi accepted gleefully. Gandhi was an ego maniac and nothing else.
    Good luck to NaMO and god bless. The problem I see here is this guy Advani had withdrawn his resignation. He is going to be an on going nuisance and a distraction for BJP and Namo.

45. prakash
    June 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM

why gandhi forced lakhs of indian soldiers to fight against germany and bloody showing other cheek to britishers??????????

46. June 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

BJP has become a private fiefdom Vajpai and Advani both expected Parliamentary party / core group meets wherever it suited them i.e. mostly their residences. This led to not only highly unprofessional behaviour but supported I am far above all of you mentality. Mr Shekhavat was one such person to feel it acutely. Advani’s tantrums once again proves that he is not holier then thou that one needs to run to him. Mr MM Joshi, and such other current leaders did not feel it. But younger generation will certainly not accept it or respect it. Advani is going to restart his machinations mainly to save Nitish (and not the NDA), perhaps include Mamta through his ‘Jinah brand secularism’. J Jaylalita was sharp to read this and immediately contacted the Left front in search of alternative. She knows Advani will play own game like of the past DMK vs ADMK and Modi inspite of good relations will penetrate her dome. Advani may even (if allowed) will want to revive the contacts with Mehbooba in Kashmir, and Shushma with her Ready brothers but through less mercurial partner then Yeddu. Modi will not be allowed to be PM even if it means UPA3 or a new front formation. Be sure Advani can go to any length. There is a saying in Gujarati/Rajasthani ‘Main maroon to maroon lekin tujhe rand (bewa-widow) karoon.

47. Krishnan
    June 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM

No one wants to hear teh bitter truth. Gandhi might be the face that we see everyday in notes and he is the father of India and yes he is one of the main responsible for uniting India altogether, but that doesnt mean he hasnt done his own share of blunders.
    The main one I would say is making Nehru as PM when sardar was there, and sardar fell for the Gandhi charisma, he never refuses Bapu. And today almost all the problems we have in India is due to that single decision.
    If Bapu was listened closely by Congis, then why didnt they listen to his advice of closing out Indian National Congress.
    So there is no point in saying Bapu always did everything right.

48. June 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Why did you drag Gandhi into this? Did Gandhi ever take up fasting for his personal gain?

49. elluranand
    June 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Nice one…

50. June 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I am sorry too, that it had to come to this. The parallels with Bhishma are, to some extent, valid. To go on and on, seeking responsibilities, long after one has discharged one’s fair due, is to seek ignominy.

Sad…